Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Wednesday: HUM Day (Halfway Up the Mountain)







Dear Faith Partners,

    Today was a good day. Me and my YRG group went and helped finish a job that we started yesterday for a nice old lady named Mary, she was quite inspiring because she was pushing 80 and she wouldn't stop working, we had to keep telling her it was alright and we could do it for her, eventually she started mowing the lawn and that kept her busy. We build Ms. Mary a fence to keep her grandsons 2 weiner dogs in. Back behind the barn, my new friend Cole and I spotted that there was an old school bus and we wanted to look in it so we asked Mary if we could and when we went inside I found a really old welding helmet and I asked her if I could buy it off her for $10 and she said that I could just have it which was pretty cool. It is an old brain bucket type welding helmet and she says it used to be her husband’s when he welded for the company “Almco Steel” in Bluffton Indiana back in the 50’s-60’s, which I find really cool. It seems to have been spray painted black but that is mostly peeled off and under it is a nice red color and written across the top it says “CRASHMEN.” I couldn’t find anything on that so it must be his nickname or something, when i get home I am going to clean it up and I am going to give it a clean coat of red, write “crashmen” in white across the top where it was, replace the glass, and give it a new inner headpiece. I want it to look how it did.

I saw God today in Ms. Mary because she prayed with us when we prayed and even though Mountain TOP is a charity organization to help people out, she insisted on paying for the fence material because she knows that MTN TOP Is scarce on resources and conserves, and she wants to help out for us and I thought that was pretty cool.

I'm so happy that I have had the chance to come to Mountain TOP and meet the people I have met and help the people I have helped. Thank you so much for making this possible for me.

-Jack Spellman

For Thursday:  Lord Christ, when you came among us, you proclaimed the kingdom of God in villages, towns, and lonely places:  Grant that your presence and power may be known throughout this land. Have mercy upon all of us who live and work in rural areas; and grant that all the people of our nation may give thanks to you for food and drink and all other bodily necessities of life, respect those who labor to produce them, and honor the land and the water from which these good things come.  All this we ask in your holy Name. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. I’d recommend getting Mrs Mary’s address and correspond with her. Possibly send a pic of her husbands referbished helmut...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs Mary seems quite a lady !
    Wishing you a wonderful rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the blue of the house, is that her house? I am glad you discovered what a hard workers old ladies are!!!

    ReplyDelete