Friday, June 22, 2018

Friday: Last Day on the Mountain












Dear Faith Partners,
 
Wow, what a week. I have gone on a crazy adventure full of laughter and fun. I have to admit, I had a hard time committing to this week of service. I didn’t think I had the strength to put myself out there to a new group of people and to let myself go. And guess what, I was right. It was extremely hard for me. I didn’t know how to find myself and connect with others. But I pushed through and really found a connection with God. I made friends that I wouldn’t have if I didn’t come and now they’re friends that I am extremely grateful for.
This is my first year coming to Mountain TOP and my one regret is not coming sooner. I wish I had the guts at the time to answer God’s call, but doing it late is better then not doing it at all. I saw God in so my places this week. One sweet old lady I worked for was talking to me about how her brother had just died. It was at that moment that I realized that I am not here to just build a staircase or porch but to fill the need of love and to spread the love of God as well. I am not a big person on praying openingly, but at that time I felt like this was it. I prayed for God to give her strength in this time of need and at the end she told me how no one has ever prayed for her. It was at that moment that I started to cry and embraced her in a hug.
I feel we take a lot of things for granted. My biggest guilty pleasure is a nice shower and a working toilet. When traveling from home to home I realized a lot of places don’t have this. But what they do have is love. They love their families and the ones willing to help. They love in simple gestures like the icey pops from Mrs. Griffins or the welcoming arm of Ronnie and his family. They love by not being afraid of letting others help them and when others helped them they were full of joy. That joy that gleamed off of their faces said things that words could not and I will never forget the silent gestures.
I can’t believe that this is the end of this chapter of my life but it is definitely not the end of my story. I hope to continue in finding myself through God and being willing to open up even if it is hard. And in the words of the campers, adults, and staff, I’d love to live on the mountain top, And someday I hope you will join me on a fun filled, crazy, fantastic ride.

-Emma Thomson

For Saturday:  O God, our heavenly Father, whose glory fills the whole creation, and whose presence we find wherever we go:  Preserve those who travel; surround them with your loving care; protect them from every danger; and bring them in safety to their journey’s end; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

3 comments:

  1. You put yourself out there and God blessed you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of you for pushing forward, that is how we make things happen. You will rarely regret it. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....... very kool. A valuable lesson some of us take decades to learn. Well done!

    ReplyDelete